Sunday, September 23, 2007

Interviewing Tips

The first article that caught my attention was the one titled: "Ability to Pull an All-NighterCan Be as Useful as a B.A." I immediately had interest in this article considering the enormous amounts of all-nighters I pulled in architecture just for studio alone. These sometimes amounted to as many as one or two every other week, and quite often two or more in a row. Reviews for architecture students, which can often amount to as many as one a week, are often equivalent to tests for most other students classes. In these reviews we have to pin up our work present it to a panel of jurors, often in a formal presentation setting, then answer questions and receive feedback for future development and learning. After the review we are then graded on our presentations as well as the thoroughness, thoughtfulness, logic, and creativity of our work. The knowledge that the many, many all-nighters I pulled, as well as the group collaborations and time scheduling, can be mentioned in interviews and resumes as "soft skills" on top of the obvious skills and knowledge aquired through classes.

The second article that I was interested in reading was "You Can Say Too MuchWithout Even Speaking." This article at first glance seemed like it might have some negatives of body language such as doing something too often rather than not enough like I usually seem to hear about. Most of the article seemed to address largely standard issues I have always heard concerning interviewing etiquette. The thing that did surprise me was how people can maintain too much eye contact. It had previously never occurred to me that too much eye contact for an extended period could be awkward for the interviewer since I have always heard you must make strong eye contact in an interview situation.

The final article that really caught my attention was "A Job Hunter's GuideTo Recruiter Code Words." This article was not quite what I was expecting. From the title, I felt this article perhaps may have meant specific words used in interviewer questions which could give the interviewee a more substantial idea of what the interviewer is looking for with each question or statement. Due to this misjudging of the article I found it less intriguing that I anticipated, but somewhat interesting nonetheless. The terms used in this article seem as though they could be usedful for shorthand notes if you are the interviewer, but do not seem to be of a whole lot of use to an interviewee since they do not give much insight into how well an interview is going unless the interviewer allows the interviewee to see his or her notes afterward.

Some of the information in these articles is common sense, but a good deal of the information seems to be thoughtful and most likely previously unknown to the general public. The list as a whole seems as though it is very substantial as a help and advice resource for interviewees.

No comments: