Sunday, September 30, 2007

Resume Articles

The first two articles that caught my attention were very similar to each other, so I figured I would simply mention them both together. The same is true with the second two articles I noticed, so I plan to mention them together as well.



The first two articles I noticed were "More Sneaky Job Hunter Tactics: Faking an Insider Referral" and "Why Sneaky Resume Tactics May No Longer Aide Job Hunters." Once I read both of these articles, the thing that struck me most was the levels of creativity people will go to in order to deceive companies and corporations in order to gain job opportunities. The embedded texts for online searches as well as the colored text on the same colored background were very simple ideas, but things I would not have previously even thought of. The two ideas for writing what appears to be an insider recommendation on the resume, and especially the idea involving the "confidential" envelope going to a major executive seem excessively deceitful to me. Personally I feel that if you need that kind of effort getting someone to look at your resume you probably are not going to get the job anyway. Not only that, but the second article explained how, in a lot of cases anymore, many tactics, especially those of an online nature, are not only being foiled by newer technology, but being punished in some form or capacity. It seems to me that these tactics are not only unnecessary in many cases, but they are an unnecessary risk as well.



The next two articles that caught my eye were "Just One Job? Three Tips For Creating a Broad Resume" and "Five Resume Tips For When You Can List Only One Employer." These articles grabbed my attention since this will be my situation when looking for a job after graduation this December. Both articles were of benefit and both mentioned bolstering experience so as to broaden your resume. The other points of advice were quite helpful as well. Showing progression and adaptability seem fairly obvious as well as grouping skills and using subheadings though the explanations for each is helpful. I found the branding statement particularly interesting as well, though it seems it may be similar to a more specific objective statement.

No comments: